All of us have differing meanings and thoughts as we hear or recite the Lord's Prayer. As I experienced a spiritual strengthening and the re-emergence of my faith after a prolonged absence from church, my understanding of the human journey, our relationship with one another, and our Lord began to mature as well. Here then are my reflections on the Lord's Prayer that came to me as I grew more aware of what it is to be.
THE LORD'S PRAYER
- OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN
- There is ONE who unites us all.
- HALLOWED BE THY NAME
- We revere Your concern for us, and because of that understand we
must have concern for one another.
- THY KINGDOM COME
- We give pause to remember those who have left us. We are greatful,
Dear Lord, you have accepted them unto Yourself in life beyond death.
Help us to comfort the bereaved.
- THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
- May we be mindful of the conflict between peoples and nations.
We pray for peace and justice and, will to do our part to achieve it.
- GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD
- We think of the destruction and the pain of famine and poverty.
We picture in our minds the suffering of children. We resolve we can,
as we must, do our part to bring relief.
- AND FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES
- If we have wronged another person we have wronged You, Dear Lord.
Strengthen us in our determination to make right that wrong.
- AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US
- When we are not sensitive to others' needs and concerns we often
feel crossed by them. Help us to search, to understand and grow,
by learning and respecting the differing perspectives others have to offer.
- AND LEAD US AWAY FROM TEMPTATION
- We know our weaknesses and susceptibility to them. Indeed, there are
failings we are unmindful of as well. Let us be alert to them, especially in our
community relationships. And, find ways to help others in their struggle too.
- AND DELIVER US FROM EVIL
- When we feel threatened give us trust in your guidance. Help us stand
beside others when they're in difficulty; and not be fearful of the risk
that sometimes involves.
- FOR THINE IS THE KINGDOM AND THE POWER AND THE GLORY
- Our being, the world environment and community is given in trust
from You. It is not acceptable we stand wastefully by when we have the
ability to make things better. You have given us the power. May our lives
be directed to the glory of improving this world as You would have us do.
- FOR EVER AND EVER, AMEN.